Minutes of the 17th Meeting of the Baltic Division of United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN)
Warsaw, 29 June – 1 July 2015
- The 17th meeting of the Baltic Division of United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN) took place from 29 June to 1 July 2015 in Warsaw (Poland) upon the invitation of the Main Geodesist of Poland, President of the Head Office of Geodesy and Cartography of Poland Mr K. Bujakowski.
- Experts from the following member countries took part in the meeting: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Russia; experts from the observing countries: Republic of Belarus and Ukraine.
Full list of participants is given in Annex 1.
- Participants of the meeting discussed and adopted the agenda of the 17th meeting of the Baltic Division (Annex 2).
- Participants of the meeting exchanged information on the status of work on national standardization of geographical names in the countries; on national authorities on the standardization of geographical names and legislation on the naming of geographical features; on the status and perspectives of development of national toponymic databases (cadastres, registers, etc.); standardization of names of natural features, names of urban features; rules of romanization of geographical names; use of geographical names in topographic maps; toponymic research; geographical names as part of cultural heritage.
Altogether 27 papers were read.
- Presentation of toponymic glossaries, dictionaries and other publications on geographical names, as well as cartographic products published in member countries, and of the National Atlas of Lithuania was organised.
- Participants of the meeting discussed preparations for the 29th session of UNGEGN (April 2016 in Thailand).
Information for the report of the Baltic Division is expected by Division's Chair by 15 December 2015.
- Participants of the meeting discussed arrangements for the next meeting of the Baltc Division. It was suggested by the participants to have the meeting in the second half of 2016 in the Russian Federation.
- It was recommended to display materials and other documents of the 17th meeting of the Baltic Division on the website of the division (http://eki.ee/knn/ungegn/index.htm; http://eki.ee/knn/ungegn/bd_ru.htm).
- Representatives of participating countries expressed desire for further cooperation and contacts.
- Representatives of participating countries expressed appreciation and gratitude to the organizers of the 17th meeting of the Baltic Division.
Chair of the Baltic Division